Food Standards legislation relates to the composition, labelling and descriptionWoman reading food label applied to food.
Premises are inspected to ensure that food on sale or for supply is correctly labelled, complies with compositional standards and not offered for sale beyond ‘use by dates’.
New laws now require food businesses to provide information to consumers regarding the presence of certain ingredients that cause allergic reactions.
Allergens covered are:
- Cereals containing gluten
- Sesame seeds
- Sulphur dioxide and Sulphites (above a set level)
Multilingual Allergen Resource
Trading Standards Wales are proud to promote a multilingual allergen resource created by the Greater Gwent Food Group, with support from Lancashire Trading Standards, Trading Standards Wales and the Food Standards Agency. It has been developed for use by local authorities across Wales, England and Northern Ireland and is suitable for food businesses, food law enforcement officers and educational establishments.
The resource is available in English, Welsh, Bengali, Cantonese, Kurdish, Mandarin, Punjabi, Turkish and Urdu, and includes:
- Food Allergy Awareness presentation approximately 1.5 hours (including a section on PPDS)
- ‘Day in the life of Chloe’ & ‘Megan’s Story’ (subtitled and dubbed). These short films were originally produced by Lancashire Trading Standards; the dubbed versions are embedded within the presentation.
- ‘Tell Us if you have an Allergy or Intolerance’ poster