Shared Regulatory Services website places cookies on your computer or mobile device to help make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice
You Are Here:

Llantwit Major kebab shop owner prosecuted 

A Llantwit Major kebab shop owner has been successfully prosecuted by the Vale of Glamorgan Council for using a deep fat fryer that posed a major safety risk.

February 28th, 2019

Mehmet Cecen, Director of Llantwit Kebab House Limited trading as The New Best Kebab, East Street, Llantwit Major was found to have used the fryer after a gas safe engineer had deemed it ‘immediately dangerous’ during a hearing at Cardiff Magistrates Court.
 
Officers working for Shared Regulatory Services, a partnership between Bridgend, Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan Councils that brings together the Environmental Health, Trading Standards and Licensing functions of the three local authorities, brought proceedings against Mr Cecen. That was after he admitted to using the fryer after being issued with the safety notice.
 
Mr Cecen plead guilty to two offences under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 for knowingly reconnecting the gas supply and putting the fryer into use when it had been classified as ‘immediately dangerous’ and for failing to maintain the equipment in a safe condition. 
 
He also admitted a third offence of failing to maintain the fryer in a good state of repair and safe condition under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. Mr Cecen was fined £1095, ordered to pay costs of £350 and a victim surcharge of £111, while the company was fined £120.

Cllr Hunter Jarvie, Vale of Glamorgan Council Cabinet Member for Legal and Regulatory Services, said: “This was a dangerous breach of health and safety regulations that placed staff and customers at potential risk. The fact that no-one came to any harm was down to pure chance.
 
“The Council takes its duty of care in such cases extremely seriously and we will continue to pursue those who break such legislation. Hopefully this sends out a message that health and safety regulations must be followed rigorously and that there are severe consequences if they are not.”