Shared Regulatory Services
You Are Here:

Health & safety of workers who drive or ride for work

If you any have any workers who drive vehicles; ride powered two-wheelers (e.g. motorcycles, mopeds, and scooters) or bicycles as part of their work activity, you must manage any risks to their health and safety whilst at work.

This applies to employees or those engaged to carry out work in the gig economy, including limb (b) workers (dependent contractors) and any self-employed persons.  

Health and safety law applies if your workers use their own vehicle or a company vehicle for a work-related journey, apart from commuting (driving to and from home to their normal place of work).

What employers must do

Employers have specific duties to protect their workers. Guidance for employers includes advice on:

Providing workers with relevant training
Keeping workers safe
Planning journeys so they are safe for workers
Protecting worker health and wellbeing

A ‘suitable and sufficient’ risk assessment must be carried out as part of an employer’s health and safety arrangements.

Roadworks, traffic, congestion, time pressures, weather conditions, other road user behaviours, route suitability for vehicle used, access to welfare facilities, journey time, time of day, parking
Driver / Rider
Fatigue, distraction, medical conditions, lone workers, vulnerable workers, working hours, break arrangements, ppe, training and competency, drink & drug policy, violence and aggression, posture, stress, mobile phone use


Vehicle condition, vehicle suitability for job, pre-use checks, servicing arrangments, mot, security of loads, defect reporting, repairs, vehicle suitability for weather conditions

What workers must doWorkers have health and safety duties and responsibilities too: To take reasonable care for their own health and safety and that of other people who may be affected by their actions at work – e.g. not driving tired; telling an employer if you they are taking medication that may impair their ability to drive Co-operate with your employment business and the end user where you are working – attending health and safety training and following instructions To use any vehicle provided in line with the training provided and to notify the relevant person if the vehicle is damaged Carry out checks to make sure vehicles are safe to use on the road – e.g. they are serviced, insured, and have valid MOTs
If work is sub-contracted, checks must be made to make sure they are competent.
Further information links Does the law apply to me? - Self-employed workers - HSE