Shared Regulatory Services
You Are Here:

Workplace Injuries, Incidents and Accidents

All employers and other ‘responsible persons’ have a duty to report certain accidents, occupational diseases and dangerous occurrences which occur in the workplace.

This is covered under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR)

Wet-floor-signThe following are reportable:-

  • Fatalities
  • Major injuries (including members of the public being taken to hospital)
  • Over 7 day injuries
  • Occupational diseases
  • Dangerous occurrences/near misses
  • Acts of violence to staff

Report an incident

Incidents can be reported online by going to the Health and Safety Executive website and completing the appropriate online report form.

All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal and specified injuries only - call the Health and Safety Executive Incident Contact Centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5.00pm).


Investigations of workplace related complaints and provision of advice

If you require advice about health and safety concerns in your workplace or business then you can contact us to discuss the matter and, if necessary, an officer can visit you to provide information on site.

The service also investigates complaints from the public concerning issues regarding the workplace.  These complaints can be about the failure of an employer to provide special facilities such as protective clothing or toilets, or about general working conditions.

On receipt of a complaint an inspector will decide whether or not enforcement action should be instigated. The powers of enforcement include issuing formal written warnings, through to the service of Improvement Notices to remedy issues within a certain timescale.

In the most serious cases officers will serve a Prohibition Notice to prevent an activity or process being carried out.




Report a Health and Safety Complaint

If you are concerned about health and safety practices or conditions at a business, or if you require any Health and Safety advice, please contact us.

  • Contact SRS
  • Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry, CF63 4RU