Shared Regulatory Services
You Are Here:


Information and guidance about Equine Identification Documents (Horse Passports) and fly grazing


Woman on Horse

EU regulations introduced from 1st July 2009 list a number Horse Passport rules.

  • All owners applying for a first time passport for equines will need a micro-chip
  • Only owners can apply for a passport
  • Micro-chips must only be inserted by a Veterinary Surgeon
  • Passports must accompany equines on all movements and be available for inspection at all times
  • All equines prescribed medicines not authorised for food producing animals including BUTE (Phenylbutazone) must be signed out of the human food chain
  • In the absence of a valid passport, veterinary surgeons are limited to only administer/prescribe drugs that are authorised for food producing animals


In addition:

  • Owners or keepers responsible for the horse must produce the passport without delay in the event of an inspection
  • Equines being issued with a first passport outside the deadline dates will be excluded from the food chain
  • When a horse dies the owner must return the passport to the issuing body within 30 days of its death


Equine Identification (Wales) Regulations 2019

  • The previous rule that equines born pre 2009 did not require a microchip but still required a passport will cease to exist from February 2020. The new requirement is that all equines and their hybrids that were covered by this previous clause are to be microchipped by the above date.
  • Anyone who purchases an equine or a hybrid must have the passport sent off within 30 days to the issuing passport authority to be updated into their name. They must also have a receipt as proof of purchase and be able to produce this as well as the PIO address upon the request of a Local Authority Officer empowered under the legislation.
  • All equines and their hybrids of 6 months of age or by 31st December of the year of their birth (whichever comes first) must have a microchip & passport.
  • Horses and their hybrids are NOT to be sold without a valid passport.
  • Equine microchip deadline: 12 February 2021 The Equine Identification Regulations came into force in February 2019. They set out responsibilities for equine keepers, owners or breeders. They also set out a requirement to identify horses, ponies, donkeys or related animals with a microchip, as well as a passport. If you need to discuss this deadline, please contact us on 0300 123 6696

Fly grazing

Fly grazing is the term that has been adopted to describe actions by irresponsible horse owners who intentionally or negligently permit their horses to graze on land where they do not have the consent of the landowner.

The Control of Horses (Wales) Act 2014 gives Shared Regulatory Services the powers to seize and impound horses and ponies which are found fly grazing, straying or abandoned.


Report Fly Grazing, Abandoned or Stray Horses

If you are affected by fly grazing, abandoned or stray horses and ponies in your community or on your land, please contact Shared Regulatory Services:

  • Contact SRS
  • Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry, CF63 4RU