Shared Regulatory Services
You Are Here:

SRS prosecutes SA Brain after man suffers serious injuries

THE Vale of Glamorgan Council has successfully prosecuted SA Brain after a customer fell through an unlocked cellar door and was left with serious head injuries.

22 February 2019

The victim, who does not wish to be named, was in the Park pub in Barry in February 2018 when the door was left open for cleaning staff and he plunged down a concrete flight of stairs.He was found bloodied and unconscious after suffering a fractured skull and bleed on the brain.The Park Pub

Such was the extent of the damage sustained, the man is still receiving treatment for issues connected to the incident and, in a victim impact statement explained the dramatic effect it has had on his life.

Through Shared Regulatory Services, a partnership between Bridgend, Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan Councils that brings together the Environmental Health, Trading Standards and Licensing functions of the three local authorities, proceedings were brought against SA Brain, who manage the pub. They plead guilty to one offence under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 for failing to ensure the health and safety of a non-employee.

At a hearing in Cardiff Magistrates Court, the company was fined £140,000, ordered to pay costs of £11,835.48 and a victim surcharge of £170. Cllr Hunter Jarvie, Vale of Glamorgan Council Cabinet member for Legal and Regulatory Services, said: “This was a grave mistake that led to an individual suffering significant, long-lasting injuries.

“As a Council, we take our duty of care to the public extremely seriously and will continue to pursue companies that do not adhere properly to health and safety legislation.  “Hopefully this sends out a message that such legislation must be followed rigorously and that there are severe consequences if it is not.”