Shared Regulatory Services
You Are Here:


We can help you if you are a tenant living in a private rented property and are experiencing difficulties.

Living-RoomDifficulties you may be experiencing:

  • Repairs to rented property
  • Safety within a rented property
  • Safety within Houses in Multiple Occupation
  • Harassment from your landlord
  • Illegal Eviction


Your landlord has various responsibilities including:

  • Keeping their properties safe and free from health hazards
  • Making sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained
  • Ensuring that the property meets fire safety requirements
  • Providing you with an Energy Performance Certificate for the property
  • Protecting your deposit in a government-approved scheme
  • Ensuring, where required, that the property is licenced (some types of Houses in Multiple Occupation) See SRS HMO page.
  • They (or their agent) must be registered and licensed to act as a landlord. The registration and licensing scheme will be delivered via Rent Smart Wales.


Make a Complaint

Step 1

Speak to your landlord/agent and bring the problem to their attention. Ask them to carry out the repairs within a suitable timescale. It may be worth advising them that if they do not complete the repairs you will have no option other than to complain to Environmental Health.

If the repairs are not completed proceed to Step 2.

Step 2

Contact us and we can investigate the matter for you. We will need your details, your landlord/agents name and contact details and a description of the problems. Please note that if you are a Council tenant, you must direct your complaint to your local Council Housing service.

We will then contact the landlord/agent and notify them that we have received a complaint from their tenant and will arrange to visit you and inspect your property for hazards.

Any hazards that are identified will be assessed and where necessary the owner will be required to undertake works to reduce the identified hazards to an acceptable level.

If the owner doesn’t agree to complete the works within a reasonable timescale then we may take enforcement action under the Housing Act 2004 to make sure the repairs are completed.

Report Online

Forms and Guidance