Shared Regulatory Services
You Are Here:

German cockroach infestation found at city takeaway

A cockroach was found next to an open bag of flour, dirt and grime on the floor, walls and equipment, as well as open waste bags dumped in food preparation areas.

November 22nd, 2019

This is what was found at The Kebab Kings takeaway at 64 Tudor Street, Riverside, when officers from the Shared RegulatoryKebab Kings kitchen Services visited the business on October 9, 2018, to carry out an inspection. Appearing at Cardiff Magistrates’ Court on November 12, the sole director, Mr Imran Kahn, 33, from Neville Street, Cardiff, was ordered to pay over £1000 after pleading guilty to eight food hygiene offences.

This case came to light, when a referral was passed to the council from neighbourhood services when they were clearing out a flat above the takeaway and found a cockroach infestation.Acting on the intelligence received, when the environmental health officer entered the takeaway, the kitchen was in a very dirty condition and a live cockroach ran across the floor past the officer’s feet.

Following further inspection, it became clear that there were too many cockroaches to count and the business was voluntarily closed by Mr Imran immediately. A Spokesman for Cardiff Council said: “What was found at this business was very concerning, as cockroaches do carry harmful bacteria such as Salmonella and E.coli which can cause food poisoning and even dysentery. 

“These insects were seen not only in an open bag of flour, but on the food preparation areas that were used to prepare pizza dough as well as on other areas where food was being prepared. This posed a significant risk to public health.

”During the inspection, when Mr Khan was asked if he was aware of the problem, he responded to the officer, explaining that he became aware of the issue “a couple of days ago and the business was suffering financial difficulties and he was thinking about closing.”

Insect repellent at Kebab KingsSince the inspection the business has remained closed and is no longer trading.In mitigation, Mr Khan advised the court that he had bought some inspect sprays in an attempt to treat the infestation and intended to contact a pest control company.

A Cardiff Council spokesman continued:

“It is very important for all food businesses to comply with the law for the health and safety of their customers. Routine inspections do take place and we also act on any intelligence received by following these matters up with inspections.”

Imran Kahn was fined £900, ordered to pay costs of £300 with a victim surcharge of £90.