Shared Regulatory Services
You Are Here:

Tattooing and Piercing

Health and safety advice and guidance for tattoo and piercing including licensing and by-law compliance.

Tattoo Artist

You need to be registered if you are tattooing and piercing. For a registration (personal or premises) an application form and relevant fee must be submitted.

On receipt of an application for approval of a premises an inspector will undertake an inspection of the premises.

The Inspector will check compliance with the relevant by-law requirements as well as ensuring that general health and safety requirements are being met. The inspector will be pleased to offer any advice or give any help if you are unsure as to how to meet these obligations.

Following the inspection a certificate of registration may be issued or may not be issued if the premises are not to an acceptable standard. The certificate of registration will only be issued once the premises is to an acceptable standard.

If a certificate of registration is issued for either yourself or your premises it will last indefinitely and you are not required to renew your certificate at any stage.

Register Premises

You will need to register premises via your local authority:




If you require any further advice or guidance regarding tattooing or piercing please contact Shared Regulatory Services:

  • Contact SRS
  • Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry, CF63 4RU